What is a Gantt chart and what is it for?
What are Gantt diagrams and how do they help you manage your projects? We have written an extensive article to show you the advantages of using Gantt diagrams in your projects.
These are the main points we will discuss:
What is a Gantt chart?
- What are the part of a Gantt chart
- The advantages and disadvantages of using Gantt charts
- How to create your own Gantt chart
- With Excel
- With a project management program
- What does a Gantt chart look like
- For creative and technical agencies
- For construction companies
A Gantt chart is a useful tool for planning projects. By providing you with an overview of scheduled tasks , all parties involved will know what tasks have to be completed and on what date .
A Gantt chart shows you:
- The starting and ending of a project
- What tasks are in the project?
- Who is working on each task
- The scheduled start and end date of tasks
- An estimate of how much each task will take
- How tasks overlap and / or if there is a relationship between them
Components of a Gantt chart
Normally, a Gantt chart contains the following elements:
- Dates: Start and end dates allow project managers to have a vision of when the entire project will begin and end.
- Tasks: the projects consist of a series of subtasks. With a Gantt chart, you can keep track of these subtasks so that none suffer delays or get forgotten.
- Expected timeframes: the diagram shows when each task should be carried out. It will help you ensure that each subtask will be completed according to the program and that the entire project will be completed on time.
- Interdependent tasks: some tasks can be carried out at any time, while others must be completed before or after another task begins or ends . These tasks that depend on others can be indicated in a Gantt chart.
- Progress : the diagram shows you exactly how your project is being developed since it offers you a representation of the tasks that have already been completed. By indicating the current date, you will get an overview of how much remains to be done and see if everything proceeds as planned to complete the project on time.
Advantages of a Gantt chart
Using a Gantt chart in your project management process gives you the following advantages:
- A simplified overview
- Performance Data
- Better time management